Monday, May 30, 2011

Last few days of sight seeing (Part 2)

Looking west down Gershon Agron street, April 26th

I apologize for not getting this post up faster--the pictures have been uploaded for almost a month, but I haven't seen to find the time or mental focus to write anything about them. Part of the reason for that is six weeks after returning from Israel, I was honored to be offered a full-time job at a hotel here in Windsor! I was not anticipating finding a job that fast and am so grateful. However, I once again have limited time to write and blog.

But enough excuses--here's another glimpse at one of my last sight seeing days in Israel . . .

After a couple days walking around and through Jerusalem's Old City, I spent most of Tuesday, April 26th in the western New City. Jerusalem's Great Synagogue had been on my list for a long time, but I found it hard to fit in. You might be wondering why . . . mostly because it is only open for visitors until noon, and I did not want to be up and bushy-tailed that early on my days off! :-) But with two weeks at my leisure, I had lots of other mornings to sleep in . . .

In Israel, Pesach (Passover in English) lasts for seven days, the first and last days being a bit more ceremonial than the middle of the week. The international Jewish community, however, celebrates an 8-day Passover feast. Okay, here's where I try not to confuse anybody--there are those who live outside of Israel, travel to Israel for Pesach, and retain their eight-day celebration. So, while all the shops had been closed on Monday for the final day of Pesach, there were still some holding services in the synagogue on Tuesday for their final day. The downside to this was I wasn't able to take in my camera and photograph the interior of the synagogue (it is beautiful!). The upside was I got to sit in on some of the Jewish prayer service. I didn't understand every word (it was in Hebrew), but I picked out some words here and there. The experience was special and memorable.

For more history on the Great Synagogue and a few interior pictures, go to http://www.jerusalemgreatsynagogue.com/EN_HomePage.aspx.

The first synagogue on this plot of land was built in 1958, but the current building was completed in 1982 at a construction cost of $18 million. The building was constructed in the style of the Jewish Temple that stood in Jerusalem two thousand years ago, and it was inaugurated on Tu B'Av 1982 (wikipeda has a fascinating article on that specific date). The synagogue was dedicated to the six million Jews murdered in the Holocaust as well as fallen soldiers of the IDF. (The building is visible in the top picture, just to the left of the tall building and above the trees)

The outside of Jerusalem's Great Synagogue--it really is "great", seating 850 men and 550 women. You can imagine the height of this building when compared to the people standing outside the doors. The windows are stained class and are beautiful from the inside with the sun streaming through them.
The dedication plaque to the left of the entry.
A closer look at the doors . . . the doorkeepers were quite kind, but unfortunately I couldn't take my camera any further.

A random picture as I walked back down Jaffa Road to the Old City . . . this is Jerusalem's version of a fabric store

After a relaxing afternoon at Christ Church, a friend and I went to the Israel museum that evening. This had also been on my list for the 16 months I was in Israel--I have no idea why I didn't get there sooner.

I have been to the Israel Museum on two of my three previous trips to Israel. The museum visit was scheduled for the first day of the tour my first two visits. As some of you know, traveling so far a distance aggravates vertigo for me, and it takes two or three days before balance is restored. My memories from my first two visits to the museum consist of dark edges around my vision, extreme lightheadedness, and concentrated efforts to not faint. Not very pleasant! In 2008, the museum was not scheduled for the first day in Israel--it ended up on the day I was confined to bed for 24 hours per doctor's orders. Unbelievable. I was so looking forward to actually seeing what was in the museum!

And I was not disappointed. Tal allowed me to spend a bit over an hour in the archaeological wing of the museum--that is a long time for somebody who's not into archaeology that much! It's not my number one interest, but I love to see all the finds from Bible times. Especially since I've visited so many of the actual locations--I can picture where the pieces came from. I was torn between being excited to be there and being disappointed I wouldn't be able to fit in a second visit before returning to Colorado.

After the archaeological part, Tal took me on my own private tour through the art wing. To be honest, if I had gone by myself, I probably would have skipped these exhibits altogether. I would have missed out bigtime! There was a whole Jewish history exhibit that was fascination, complete with reconstructed synagogues from around the world. Even the fine art exhibits were much more intriguing than I ever anticipated, largely due to my guide! Tal explained so many artistic concepts/techniques, the artists' backgrounds, and pointed out many details I likely would have overlooked. I walked into the art wing out of obligation to Tal (he had let me have my time in archaeology) but left having really enjoyed the tour. Tal--thank you so much for your patience and untiring explanations. I still can't believe how much I enjoyed perusing all the art, and that is due completely to you!

By the time we exited the building (three hours after entering), it was dusk over Jerusalem. The view was breathtaking.

The Jerusalem skyline, looking west from the Israel Museum
An illuminated waterway ran along the wide concrete path; it's unfortunate this picture can't capture sound and atmosphere.
At the top of the pathway stood this unusual display. The ground is reflected in the top, while the sky is reflected in the bottom. Tal knew the story behind its creation which really made it interesting.
The Jerusalem skyline reflected in the top of the metal sculpture
And then Tal and I had some fun with the reflective metal and my camera :-). The dusk colors made these a touch more intriguing . . .
Another look west at the skyline of Jerusalem
Darkness was falling quickly . . . here is one last look up the pathway at the museum. At the top is the reflective sculpture we stopped to examine.
A reflecting pool meets the glass wall of the museum's coffee shop
The illuminated Knesset building from the museum grounds
Tal and I took one last look back at the illuminated Israel Museum before walking back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment